Here are some of our tips for making sure you stay safe in the heat:
- Keep hydrated. Drink regularly throughout the day, and always carry water with you if you go out. How about setting a reminder on your phone to prompt you to have a drink?
- Wear light fabrics, open shoes or sandals and a hat to shade you from the sun. Don’t wear anything that is too tight, and avoid dark colours.
- Spray cold water over yourself or have a cool shower. Some people find that putting their hands or feet in a bucket of cool water helps to cool their whole body.
- Try to avoid going between hot and cold environments (e.g. from the midday sun to an air conditioned building) more than you need to, as this can make you very fatigued.
- If you have exercises to do, such as physiotherapy, try to get these done in the coolest parts of the day. Avoid doing too much when the temperature gets too high.
- Try to stay out of the sun during the hottest time of the day (between 11am and 3pm).
- Eating cold foods like salad and fruit can help you keep hydrated as they have a high water content, as well as containing lots of healthy nutrients.
- Ice lollies can also help! (as well as being a nice treat!)
- At home, open windows and keep curtains drawn if the window is in direct sunlight.
- You could use an electric fan to keep the house cool.
Do you have any other tips that could help? Let us know by emailing email@example.com.